Thursday, November 01, 2007

Sabbath thought

My pastor shared this thought with me the other day. We were talking about how I'm headed straight to burnout and if I don't take sabbath rest now, I won't make it through this Thesis. And I was arguing with him that I understand intellectually what he is saying, and know that it is true, but that doesn't make it any more possible to do. Then he said this:

Life is based in 7 day cycles - the Bible begins with a 7 day cycle. God rested within that framework of 7 days. If we don't take sabbath rest within each 7 day cycle then we are basically saying that we are better than God. How eternally arrogant that is to say that I am better than God, that I don't need to rest. God did, but I'm better than that. Well, if that's not sin, I don't know what is.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

I do no work on Saturday -- excepting family obligations I cannot in good grace get out of and truly exceptional circumstances which happen maybe once every 2 years.

On Sundays I have to get up early, get dressed and get to church. The day's already shot, might as well do work. Saturdays I sleep in, don't wash my hair and eat a leisurely breakfast at Panera (hey, fixing my own would be work :) ).

I highly recommend a Sabbath.

God and your Pastor are both right -- well, this time anyway. :)

Elaine
Norman, OK

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home