Friday, October 19, 2007

Jack's Roast Chicken and Potatoes

It seems that my description of my husband's roast chicken made everyone hungry. So, I asked him to dictate the recipe to me. He wants me to tell you at the start that he is not a very scientific cook, he does most things by feel. And he rarely writes things down. So, you won't find to many exact measurements in this recipe. I was also surprised to discover that he doesn't preheat the oven. I double checked that with him and he said you can if you want, but he usually doesn't for this dish. So, feel free to modify however you want. Yummm... I'm hungry.

1. Take 1 whole chicken, remove innards, cover the chicken in salt water and brine overnight.

2. Remove chicken from salt water and pat skin dry. Let the chicken air dry for 30 min.

3. Stuff inside chicken roughly 2 to 3 garlic cloves, crushed rosemary, 1 onion quartered.

4. Drizzle over chicken 3 tablespoons of olive oil and smear on more crushed rosemary and kosher salt.

5. Cube (about half inch squares) 3 to 4 potatoes (your choice on kind of potato) and 2 sweet potatoes and place in a large cookie sheet. Drizzle half a cup of olive oil. Sprinkle rosemary, half a clove of finely chopped garlic, and a whole coarsely chopped onion, salt and pepper to taste.

6. Place cookie sheet on bottom rack of oven and the chicken directly on the rack above the cookie sheet and set the oven at 370. Cook until chicken is done - approx. 1 hour for a medium size chicken.

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Awesome...I'll have to try cooking that for dinner soon! :-)

7:22 PM  
Blogger j said...

I bookmarked this. I'm so excited to try this chicken. Thanks! And I put up pumpkin chocolate chip cookies over at my place!

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home