Thursday, September 27, 2007

Friday Five: Reverendmother's Swan Song

This week's Friday Five is brought to us by Reverendmother who is about to have a baby. I'm at that age where there seem to be new babies everywhere. I even had a dream last night that I was pregnant (Mom, don't get hopeful. I'm not and not going to be any time soon!). Anyway, Reverendmother writes:



Well friends, as I prepare for the birth of Bonus Baby, it's time to simplify life, step back from the Friday Five, and let one of the other capable and creative RevGals take the helm. It's been a great almost 17 months of co-hosting the F5, but it's time to say goodbye... so here's my swan song.


On Endings and Goodbyes:

1. Best ending of a movie/book/TV show: Well, one of my favorite movies of all time also has a wonderful ending: The Princess Bride. What a great ending! The most romantic kiss ever kissed in the history of kisses. Wow, I'm swooning just thinking about it. As for a book, partly because it's still fresh on my mind, but the ending of HP7 really was quite perfect. My hubby and I were both bawling toward the end, but then it all wrapped up nicely, but not boring and predictable. TV show? Can't think of one right now. I don't watch to much TV - well, I have to admit that I do watch Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance, and I totally loved the ending of the last season of both - the right people won!

2. Worst ending of a movie/book/TV show: Well as for a movie, nothings coming to mind right now. Book - I would have to say the end of the 3rd of the Lord of the Ring Trilogy. And only because I got so wrapped up on the stories that while I was reading them my life basically stopped. I stopped socializing, practicing, studying, etc. I would get upset when someone would call me while I was trying to read. I just couldn't put them down. Anyway, I was close to the end of the 2nd book and thought that if I could just get to the end of it, I would take a break and come up for air. It was about 3:30 am one morning when I finally reached the end, and it leaves you on such a frustrating cliffhanger that I threw the book across the room in a rage and picked up the 3rd book and continued reading. So, really, that could also qualify as the best ending of a book. Again, with TV I can't really think of one.

3. Tell about a memorable goodbye you've experienced. When I was finishing my Masters in Organ Performance from TCU I was offered a job at a small music production company in NYC as a sound engineer. So, I decided that I would move up there as soon as I graduated. The ceremony was on Saturday, and the next day, Mother's Day, I moved to NYC. However, I had to say goodbye to my church. I didn't mind saying goodbye to the organ (not a fun instrument to try to lead with), but telling the choir that I was leaving and then saying goodbye to everyone was so difficult. They sent me off with a very generous gift, and lots of cards and well wishes. I'm still a member there, even though I've not lived in Ft. Worth since 2000. However, I do get to worship there this Sunday as I'm off this week for some family concerts and will be back down there on Sunday.*

4. Is it true that "all good things must come to an end"? Nope. I think all good things (and bad things for that matter) might take a temporary break in this life, but like everything else, they'll be renewed someday :). Otherwise, just shoot me now.

5. "Everything I ever let go of has claw marks on it." --Anne Lamott
Discuss. Somethings, sure, but once I decide to let go of something, generally, I'm ready to let it go and move on. On a very small scale, it's like when I've decided it's time to get my hair cut, I have to get it cut off RIGHT. THIS. VERY. MOMENT. Whenever I was dating and I realized that this particular guy was not who I was supposed to marry, I cut it off almost immediately. I leave claw marks on things that I don't want to let go, or things that I'm being forced to let go of... like my bed in the morning...


Bonus: "It isn't over until the fat lady sings." I've never loved this expression. So propose an alternative: "It isn't over until ____________________" It ain't over till the cows come home. No wait, I think that's a mixed metaphor. Hmmm... It ain't over till monkeys fly? Nope, did it again. Why does the lady have to be fat, and who cares if she's fat or not? And if its over when the lady sings, then lots of things should be over by now because I sing quite frequently, and I have been known to be pleasantly plump in my time. It ain't over till the candle is carried out... oh, hold on a minute... that's actually when it begins...


*
For those of you in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, my family will be giving a concert in Duncanville (just south of Dallas) in the Duncanville Highschool auditorium at 7:30 pm. My mom, two sisters and I do a show called ClaviVoce - we each play piano and sing. We've got 4 pianos and do everything from Brahms to Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, and every combination of 4 pianos and 4 voices. It's a fun show and it's free! We'll also be in Midland, TX on Tuesday, October 2nd, but I can't remember where exactly. If your in Midland/Odessa, we're apparently on the front page of the newspaper, or something like that. I'm pretty sure that one's free as well.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

with you on the renewal one day thinking- there lies hope :-)

5:33 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Ok, wish I could come to the family concerts!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

yes, I loved your thought about all things one day being renewed.

8:05 AM  
Blogger LutheranHusker said...

LOVED the "candle carried out" comment...because you're right, that's really when it all begins, isn't it?

Great play!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

You must be in a very musical family! Thanks for the invitation to your concerts, but I'm way too south to come.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to suspend life during reading the LOTR trilogy, too...I know how you feel.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home