Friday, November 16, 2007

Songbird brings us today's Friday Five:

Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Philippians 4:8, NRSV)

Friends, it's nearly Thanksgiving in the U.S. and it's the time of year when we are pressed to name things for which we are thankful. I want to offer a twist on the usual lists and use Paul's letter to the church at Philippi as a model. Name five things that are true, honorable, just, pure, pleasing, commendable, excellent or worthy of praise. These could be people, organizations, acts, ideas, works of art, pieces of music--whatever comes to mind for you.

1. Well, you all know by now that I'm rather mushy when it comes to my husband, so I have to say that he is one of those things that are at the top of my list. He is certainly not perfect, but he is true, honorable, just, pure, pleasing, commendable, excellent and worthy of praise.




2. There is nothing so true and noble as a good dog, and we're blessed to be able to share our house with two. Trent and Meg. I think they're the best dogs in the world and few things make my heart smile quite like these two. Trent's mom was a shelty, but we're not sure what his dad was. Some have said perhaps German Shepherd, but Jack thinks he was a coyote. Sometimes, I think he's right, cause Trent is a crazy crazy dog. Meg, we're pretty sure is all border collie. We got her from a border collie rescuer. Apparently she was on the table at the pound, and they were about to put her down since no one had claimed her. But, then Meg looked at the technician with her big black eyes that will melt your heart and the tech couldn't go through with it. So, she called our friend who rescues border collies, and then we got her. She's the sweetest dog you'll ever meet!

3. Children's voices in worship. Periodically, we'll have the children sing in church, and even sometimes, they'll sing one part of a familiar hymn along with the congregation. And, let me tell you, there is nothing in the world like hearing 50 young voices singing Give Thanks at the top of their lungs! Or, even better, at Christmastime, they always sing the first part of the refrain to O Come All Ye Faithful by themselves, and that's enough to send me straight to heaven!

4. Making music together, whether it's just me and one other person, or in a group of thousands. The sound of voices and instruments all working together to create beauty is such a blessing from God. Last weekend, we had a concert where we performed Randall Thompson's Testament of Freedom. It's not one of my favorite works, but it was quite an experience when it all came together. On top of that, my mom was at the organ with me. We do this from time to time. A couple of years ago, we played the Durfle Requiem (now that IS one of my favorite pieces of music ever!) together as a duet. When we play togehter, we can get so much more of the orchestration and play so many more colors on the organ, than if we played it alone. And, it's really a joy to collaborate on stuff like that with my mom. She's pretty special!

5. There are too many things that fit this description to only name 5. God created all of them. So for number 5 I'm going to have to go with God.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

Great play- and I love the photos :-)

3:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I guess you won't be surprised to hear I love your dogs!!
Thanks for playing, Amy.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Oh, love the dogs and so understand your sentiment about husband...yeah, I feel that way about mine too...

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home