Friday, November 09, 2007

Friday Five: Extravagant Unbusyness

Sally brings us this weeks Friday Five:

I am writing in my official capacity of grump!!! No seriously, with the shops and stores around us filling with Christmas gifts and decorations, the holiday season moving up on us quickly for many the time from Thanksgiving onwards will be spent in a headlong rush towards Christmas with hardly a time to breathe.... I am looking at the possibility of finding little gaps in the day or the week to spend in extravagant unbusyness ( a wonderful phrase coined by a fellow revgal...

So given those little gaps, name 5 things you would do to;

1. to care for your body - There are so many things I could do differently to care for my body because I apparently don't take care of my body enough. So, here are a few things - get 8 actual hours of sleep each night; eat less fast food; regular massages with my fabulous massage therapist, Karen; attend Karen's Qi Gong class; use more moisturizer.

2. to care for your spirit - observe sabbath rest. I just don't know how to do it and still get everything done. I tried it last week, and on Sunday morning, I was a mess because there were a number of hanging details that plagued me all through the services. Ugh. I told my pastor about my experience trying to take a sabbath (it was his insistence that I take one) and he kinda laughed at me and asked how I feel when I go to the gym for the first time in a long time. Kinda hurts, doesn't it? Well, same thing here, it takes some getting used to.

3. to care for your mind - Oh, my mind already gets lots of attention. I think too much already which is why the rest of me gets neglected. So, perhaps to take care of my mind, I should turn it off periodically.

4. to bring a sparkle to your eye - spend all day in bed with my husband. Really, spending any time, any where with my husband brings a sparkle to my eye :). Just thinking about him right now is causing me to grin like a silly little girl. Ok, you can stop gagging now. I'll stop, I promise.

5. to place a spring in your step - more dancing! I can always use more dancing in my life. Nothing, other than my husband, puts me in a cheerful mood more than dancing. Hmmm... dancing WITH my husband, now that would just put me immediately on cloud nine. Expect we can't do that in our house because our dog, Trent, is Baptist. The moment either one of us starts to dance, alone or with each other, he goes ballistic! I have no idea why he does this. The only explanation we can come up with is that he is Baptist. Our other dog, Meg, could care less if we dance, as long as we pet her.

Enjoy the time to indulge and dream.... and then for a bonus which one on the list are you determined to put into action? I'm determined to figure out how to observe Sabbath each week. But, it will have to wait until next week... no time right now. I'm off to practice with my mother for our concert on Sunday.

5 Comments:

Blogger LutheranChik said...

I've found sabbath rest to be a very difficult quest to pursue, just because weekends seem to be the only time I can do household chores...but what has made a qualitative difference to us is 1)not using Sunday as a shopping day -- avoiding that whole scene as much as possible; and 2)Sunday supper at home. Which actually makes MORE work on a Sunday, but it's good work, within the family circle, that nurtures our household.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Sabbath rest is so often a tricky one, as for junk food and study I think they quite simply go together!

8:46 AM  
Blogger revhipchick said...

you are sooo funny--too cute about your dog being Baptist. you made my day!

thank you for sharing your pastor's advice on the Sabbath--very helpful.

blessings

9:40 AM  
Blogger Sista Cala said...

I am happy to find your site. I followed the link from your comments at RevGals.

You have a wonderful pastor, to insist on your practicing a Sabbath. Sometimes we need some encouragement to do the things we know will be good for us.

I'll be back as time permits.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Rest, that your final answer. I will look into it.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home