Friday, November 23, 2007

Post Thanksgiving Day Friday Five

Singing Owl brings us this tryptophan induced Friday Five:

Ah, the day after Thanksgiving--groan! Fortunately, I love Thanksgiving leftovers.

Thanksgiving is the American holiday when the greatest number of people travel somewhere else to celebrate. I am posting this from my son’s home in Minnesota where we are recovering from the food shopping and the preparations and the meal and the clean up. It is difficult to think of anything requiring much energy today, and I am enjoying my sweet baby granddaughter, so I will keep it simple. For those of you not in the USA, I apologize for the nationalistic tone of this Friday Five!

1. Did you go elsewhere for the day, or did you have visitors at your place instead? How was it? My husband and I traveled on Tuesday to Houston (we're still here) to spend thanksgiving with Jack's Parents. Jack's dad is a minister at a Disciples of Christ church down here. Dan (Jack's brother) and Tiffany and their precious little girl, Maya, is here too. We're having a grand 'ole time, doing puzzles, playing with the baby, laughing at all the dogs, sleeping and generally being wonderfully lazy. I've got the best in-laws in the world!

2. Main course: If it was the turkey, the whole turkey, and nothing but the turkey, was it prepared in an unusual way? Or did you throw tradition to the winds and do something different? I've actually never had such wonderful, juicy turkey in all my life. Jack comes by his cooking talents very naturally. We had turkey with turkey gravy as well as a pineapple gravy; cranberry sauce, stuffing, sweet potato souffle, ambrosia, corn on the cob, carrot salad, rolls and homemade pumpkin pie. Then for dinner we ate popcorn at the movies. I'm sure lunch today will be turkey sandwiches.

3. Other than the meal, do you have any Thanksgiving customs that you observe every year? Well, before I married Jack, we always spent Thanksgiving with my dad's family which was not a whole lot different than yesterday. We just sit around and eat and talk and nap and watch football, etc. Jack's family has an added tradition of looking through all the newspaper adds for the specials on Friday. We sort of did that here. But, we also did a puzzle - I was up until 2am last night finishing it. I LOVE PUZZLES!

4. The day after Thanksgiving is considered a major Christmas shopping day by most US retailers. Do you go out bargain hunting and shop ‘till you drop, or do you stay indoors with the blinds closed? Or something in between? I really don't like to shop, and so the thought of shopping on the same day as the rest of the United States kinda makes me shiver with fear, loathing and indignation. So, instead today, I'm going to participate (albeit alone) in "Buy Nothing Day."

5. Let the HOLIDAY SEASON commence! When will your Christmas decorations go up? I've done it on the day after Thanksgiving Day in the past, however, since we're here in Houston and I doubt the dogs and the dog sitter back at our house are going to be decorating, we will be waiting till sometime later during Advent to do all that. I kinda wish the tradition was still around where you don't decorate until Christmas Day. But, alas, the cultural tide, driven by our consumerist society has pushed the Christmas holidays back to mid September. We'll probably get a tree next weekend or something like that. I think our decorations will be rather slim this year.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

that meal sounds wonderful, pineapple gravy...really?

As for decorations I hold out until at least the 20th December- just call me scrooge!

11:01 AM  
Blogger more cows than people said...

i thought i had the best in-laws in the world! alright... they can share the title.

sounds lovely, luxurious, lazy... good stuff.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home